Why I “Love” and “Not Like” to be in Sales

I’m a graduate of B.S Marketing and Corporate Communications. I call this degree as “jack of all trades”. It’s very broad and tackles every field in marketing such as public relations, advertising, personal selling, and retail etc. etc.


On the 2nd year of my career life I ended up as an account manager of an IT firm. This primarily involves selling the products and services offered by your company. Creating new leads and successfully converting them in to accounts. Most importantly you have to maintain a large account which will later on serve as your bread and butter.


Anyway, I would just like to share the top 3 reasons why I would love to be in sales and definitely why I would also love to quit.


Let me start with why I don’t like to be an Account Manager:


1.     The pressure is always on. Especially on meeting your quota. Revenue is dependent on you so you always have to close an account. KRA’s and KPI’s are based on actual figures.
2.     Your name is always at stake. Being the one handling the account takes a lot of responsibility
3.     Demanding clients. This refers to the undying motto, “The Customer is Always Right”.


The reason why I would love to stay is:


1.     I get to meet different people. Be it on top management and ranking staffs.
2.     The joy of closing a deal especially when you know you really worked hard for it.
3.     The feeling of being important to the company you are working with. You’re paying back your salary in actual figures (if your performing of course)


Hopefully, I can hit the figures this year. Well, I really have to. If not, I’ll be the “falling star”. I’m giving myself this year. I once read an article about sales people. If you’re not really meant for sales then you don’t have to force yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment